Join the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program
Pennsylvania health officials are urging physicians to join the Pennsylvania Medical Marijuana Program, which is expected to be up and running in spring 2018. Doctors must create a profile in the Practitioner Registry (credentials required), then take the mandatory four-hour continuing education course to become practitioners.
Other requirements that must be met for a doctor to issue medical marijuana to a patient include the:
- Physician’s medical license must be valid and not suspended, revoked or expired.
- Physician must determine that the patient has a serious medical condition, and must record the condition in the patient’s health care record.
- Patient must be under the continuing care of the prescribing physician for the serious medical condition.
- Physician must determine that the patient receives therapeutic or palliative benefits from medical marijuana after a review of the treatment.
- Physician must review the drug-monitoring program prior to certifying a patient.
For more information, visit the Commonwealth’s Medical Marijuana Program guide to view FAQs and other pertinent information.
The number of physicians, who are either on the registry or in the pipeline for approval are increasing, but more are needed.
The Pennsylvania Department of Health will be responsible for registering practitioners and overseeing compliance. While Chapter 4 of the Medical Marijuana Act covers regulations for physicians, before making the decision to prescribe medical marijuana you may want to consult an attorney to discuss risks, protections, responsibilities, etc. or concerns with the new medical marijuana laws.
Once our newly constructed grow / process facility in South Heidelberg Township is complete and approved by DOH, Prime Wellness of Pennsylvania will be ready to participate in the Commonwealth’s new Medical Marijuana Program, delivering approved forms of this life-changing plant to dispensaries in 2018.
Arrangements can be made to consult with our prominent medical advisors, who are experts in pain management.